Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The Creepy Old Man

Dear Readers,

Yesterday was such a weird day...

First, I was lucky enough to have the morning off. I ended up getting a lot of paperwork and schoolwork done. A person who I'm trying to forge a relationship started texting me in Korean, so it's exercising my Korean abilities. Much needed exercise.

Second, I went to work. Had a good day.

Third, on the bus home I sat next to a creepy old man. Context: Sometimes in Korea, old people will go visit their kids who are living in the States or in Canada. When they come back, they have such good memories of their trip that they can't wait to share them with any foreigners they meet, since all foreigners come from America or Canada.

Anyway, this golden-toothed senior citizen had visited "My son, Utah. Utah!" so he was going on about how awesome of an experience he had. He elegantly asked me from which land I hailed from ("Country?"), then we chatted about his job. I think he's a driver or something.... he kept talking about "bus" and motioned like he was driving something.

We talked about our ages. He bragged about being 60 and I said I was 25 (BTW, 60 isn't really that old, but this guy looked a lot older). Then he held my hand. It was uncomfortable, but I had been warned about this type of behaviour ahead of time.

Now, by this time, we're total besties, so he stretched his arm around me and made a really happy sound and face. What came to mind is a hilarious old commercial for Degree antiperspirant, where someone would go through stressful situations and a meter would comically gauge their level of stress (I found only one example of that commercial, but it's for adults only: http://www.culturepub.fr/videos/degree-anti-perspirant-stress).

Anyway, he really wanted my phone number, but he showed me that his phone was out of battery. Praise Jesus. He wanted me to use a pen to write it down, but for safety's sake, I "didn't have one". Thankfully, the bus was soon approaching my stop.

Just then, I notice he was staring at me. When I get in uncomfortable situations, I smile uncontrollably (how embarrassing).

He kept calling me "pretty face" and then completely felt up my cheek!

Shudder. Come to Korea they said. It'll be fun they said. ;)

Hallelujah, my bus stop came up and I practically pushed the door open myself.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for saying 60 is not that old. Your old mom appreciates that. Seems like creepy people ride the bus in every country. Sometimes Amanda would text me about the weirdest people she would meet, and guess where she would meet them. On the bus to school. However, invading ones personal space is a big cultural "no no" here in Canada, no wonder it bothered you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the video reference, very funny. Like your phrase Come to Korea they said. It'll be fun they said. ;)

    ReplyDelete