So this was clearly an eventful day.
Yesterday I had gone for a run, but because I'm out of shape, it really took a toll on my body. I couldn't move after I got home from work; I felt like a 45 degree angled ajumma...
Anyway, that was making me nervous for Saturday because I had big plans. Josh would be coming over in the afternoon, but I also accepted a contract to film a commercial for the day. The Universiade (International University Games) are coming to Gwangju in two years, so the city was creating a new commercial to inspire Koreans to have good thoughts about our fair city.
Fun fact: it was the same director and main actress who also made the Gwangju Universiade commercial! I didn't think I would run into them again!
Anyway, we shot at various locations around Gwangju. We went to Namdong Market, the biggest in Gwangju.
I never knew such a place of horrors existed. Gore everywhere: items for sale still wriggling and writhing, the chop, chop, sound of vendors breaking bones with their meat cleavers, animals splayed on tables with blood dripping on the cold, wet concrete, all sorts of terrifying creatures of the deep waiting silently in holding tanks, the acidic smell of death and raw flesh in the air....
It made me dizzy.
And they were going to film it. My role was "Foreign tourist 1" alongside Mila, the Russian student ("Foreign Tourist 2"). Originally it sounded like we were going to have to eat some scary thing from a fish tank, but we ended up just bobbing for octopus instead. Those things squirt water, be careful!
I want to make a special shout out to Barb, my puppetry coach. While I was acting, the director was impressed with my performance and manner. I want to say that it's all because of the experiences I had in puppetry with drama and acting. Go Barb!
We also filmed at a park, which is where we were for the rest of the day--we finished shooting at 12:00am. Tired. Met some great people though, got some good phone numbers. The thing is, in Korea, it's hard to know when people are serious about following up with you. I guess one has to initiate more often than normal.
No comments:
Post a Comment