Thursday, April 11, 2013

My Favourite Student

My favourite student goes by the name Jun Hui ("joon hee"). She came to my class last semester because she's part of a pack of girls that have remained friends throughout the school year (they all attend my class regularly and sit at the same table--my star students to be honest). She's in grade 5 now and is still an important member of that group. When I co-teach with Hyeong Ah on Tuesdays, she's in the first class of the day, but she's the only member of her friend group in that class. I would assume it's a little bit difficult for her, but she's friends with the person she sits beside. Everything's alright in the end.

Why is she my favourite? Because she's the cutest and she tries hard. She still has kind of a baby voice that is high pitched and squeaky, and she always says hello when I'm nearby. Plus, she's got small, kid teeth with spaces in between them and she always squints when she smiles. She usually travels with another girl, On Yu ("own yoo"), who is cute in her own way. Jun Hui's voice is high and squeaky, On Yu's voice is much deeper than seems appropriate for her age. Deep and smoky, lol. She sounds like a much older woman than a grade 5 student....

Anyway, they were both hanging around the English classroom after school one day, giggling and lurking in doorways.

On Yu said in a suspicious, mysterious voice, "Come here Daybeedu". So I went to see what was the matter.
She led me into the hallway, ("Come, come!") to where Jun Hui was seated at a desk, facing me. What was this plot I was falling into?
Giddy with excitement, they motioned for me to hold out my hand, and then Jun Hui whipped out a bottle of cheap-o, glitter and tiny plastic hearts, kids nail polish! She wanted to paint all my nails, but I thought that would be a little too embarrassing, so I let them go nuts with a pinky. She even let me choose which coloured plastic heart I wanted on my nail (I choose a blue one). I can't help but laugh.

-------------------------

Then today, she came into the classroom after school again with her bestie On Yu.

"Daybeedu, what's this?" She said, proudly presenting a blue origami box thing.

"I don't know, what is it?" I replied.

"Cat television!" She shrieked. "Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!" And she showed me how indeed, the box had a cat face on it. It even featured a removable drawer in the back. Then she squealed out of the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment