So, this past weekend was a bit of a catastrophe.
Friday's classes were utterly frustrating and seriously discouraging, and i have been sick for a little while. Thankfully I at least had something I've been looking forward to for a few weeks on Saturday.
A few weeks ago, I was informed by a friend of mine in connection with the Korea Anabaptist Center in Chucheon that Stuart Murray, the author of "The Naked Anabaptist" would be undertaking a speaking tour of Korea, and that he would be in Chuncheon this past weekend. I really wanted to go, so I bought the book and read it, in anticipation of interacting with the author at one of his engagements. If you're interested, you can see details of Murray's itinerary on the Korea Anabaptist Center website.
Anyway, my friend offered to ask around to see if any of these anabaptists would be willing to put me up for the night, but the day finally came and no word was heard. I decided to stay with Josh, even though it would take 2:50 by subway to get from Chuncheon to his house. My friend informed me that Stuart's itinerary had changed, and he would be speaking in the evening instead of the afternoon, which sucks because then I wouldn't get to Josh's house until super late.
So Saturday arrived. I was going to go visit Josh first so I could drop off my bag and continue to Chuncheon, but I missed the bus and the next one wouldn't depart soon enough. I decided to take the next bus to Chuncheon instead, which was much more expensive, but at least it would get me there on time. I bought my ticket.
I decided to check the KAC (Korea Anabaptist Center) website one more time to confirm everything. It was still the same "Stuart Murray will be speaking at the Jesus Village Church (Chuncheon) from 7:30-9:30."
Then I realized--I don't even know where the Jesus Village Church is! I was assuming it was the same place as the KAC because on the KAC wiki it says it was founded by the JVC. I quickly messaged my Chuncheon friend to ask her where this place was, and then I started trying to find out the location of this elusive church. Unfortunately, because it's a Korean enterprise, it doesn't have an English website and there was no listing for it on either Google or Daum maps. I even tried searching for it in Korean, but to no avail.
Finally, the time came for my bus to depart on its 4.5 hour journey to Chuncheon.
Once in Chuncheon, I knew how to get to the KAC because they posted directions on their website (no address for the JVC though--I guess everybody knows where it is). Once I finally arrived at the KAC, it was closed :( It was then 7:30pm, when Stuart was slated to start speaking. The bar across the hallway had an open wifi network, so I was able to check my messages. My Chuncheon friend messaged me at 7:35 and told me what I learned the hard way--no, the JVC is in a different location. She gave me the address and I looked it up. 3km away. I could take a bus.
So, exhausted, discouraged, hungry, and still sick, I waited for the bus. In the cold. In the dark. For 45 minutes.
No bus.
So, defeated, and utterly disappointed, I gave up and surrendered to fate. I walked back to the train station and started the 2:50 journey to Josh's house.
I think an anabaptist value should be "don't ever give up" or "stay positive no matter what". Because this weekend definitely needs a silver lining. Mom
ReplyDelete