Hi Folks,
Today I went with many other CNU international students (I just realized how... odd... it is to be considered an "international student" for the first time in my life) to Jeonju! It's about an hour north of here, in the next province, Jeollabuk-do (North Jeolla Province).
We stopped at a museum and made pencil cases out of traditional Korean paper, which is this really rough stuff but apparently it lasts forever (it's called "hanji"). The hanji-expert lady told us that the technique for making the paper came from China and then Korea exported it to Japan. Anyway, to make the pencil case it involves a lot of painting and gluing, but it's a nice souvenir. There was a traditional Korean wedding going on outside, so most of the people in our group were more interested in that than the paper craft.
Afterwards, we went for lunch at a restaurant near the Hanok Village. We had famous Jeonju bibimbap! (When Koreans think of Jeonju, probably Jeonju bibimbap is the first thing that comes to mind). It's like, double the price of regular bibimbap, but it was absolutely delicious. Bibimbap is actually always delicious. Fact.
Afterwards, we were all participated in an Amazing Race-style challenge through the Hanok Village. We were all split up into groups and given clues. It was pretty fun, running from place to place, perplexing all Koreans as we ran by them. My team ended up coming in 2nd, which isn't bad. The next team didn't arrive for 20 minutes.
We were given some free time to wander through the village, so I went and bought an ice cream cone. I had never heard of the flavour Rubus Coreanus before... turns out it was raspberry. Whatever, it was still good ice cream. The Hanok Village is pretty nice and relaxing, if crowds don't bother you. A "hanok" by the way, is a traditional Korean house (the one with the tiled, curving roofs and wooden pillars). They're mostly used as guest houses now, but it's still nice to look at them. I prefer the ones that aren't painted, I think they're better looking.
I went into a Mini-Stop and found, completely by chance, a 100% legitimate bottle of Cherry Coke. I must have it.
There was a wedding going on at the giant Catholic church nearby. It must have been frustrating for the photographer to try and take pictures when the whole place was really crowded. The church was built in 1914, on the same spot where many Catholics were martyred during the Joseon period. Interesting history.
When it was all said and done, we got on the bus and came home. I picked up a package from the international office--it's a parcel that my beloved aunt, uncle, and cousins from Moncton, NB sent me! I can't wait to open it :)
Yippee! It finally arrived. Enjoy :-)
ReplyDelete