Today is sports day. If we're allowed to use the air-conditioner, then we'll do indoor games. If not, we'll play some water games outside.
Wednesday night we had planned to go to karaoke and have dinner as teachers, but HyeongAh wasn't feeling up to it because she was supposed to take it easy. So, Mimi, Jong Hyeon (my co-teacher), and myself went instead. Mimi and I had dinner and Jong Hyeon met us at the theatre after he got off work (hagwon--cram school). We went to go see the Korean-directed English language film Seolgukyeolcha--Snowpiercer. It's a science fiction movie about the last remaining humans on Earth (accidental ice age) who are travelling around the world on an advanced ark-like train. People had to pay to get on, and those who could afford better tickets live freely at the front, in luxury, sufficiency, and care, while those who couldn't afford much are forcibly kept in the back, in poverty, squalor, and desperation. The movie is about the "tail section's" struggle for control of the train.
Personally I found it to be really gory and violent (I guess I didn't check the rating, but it was probably R (or at least it should have been--Koreans like gory movies that make you squirm--gross!)) but I thought the movie raised interesting points about class, power, destiny, and humanity as a system. It made for some of the best conversations I've ever had with Korean people afterwards (over patbingsu (shaved ice with sweet toppings) no less--yummy!)
Anyway, that's our mini-Hweshik :)
No comments:
Post a Comment