As I crossed the busy street this morning, I saw some young people waiting with big placards on the opposite corner. When they were allowed to, they entered the intersection and did the wave with their giant signs. I'll ask what the message was (I wrote it down) and let you know.
English camp is going swimmingly so far. I'm allowed to wear shorts, which is absolutely terrific! My kids are nice, but instead of being loud and distracted, they sort of just stared at me while I spoke. A little unnerving...not sure which one I prefer.
Yesterday was Science Day, so we practiced making predictions ("What will happen?" "I think..."). Mimi didn't order my dry ice, but it turned out okay since I realized it might have sublimated (disappeared) by the time I needed to use it! We did some experiments ("Waaaaaa!"), and then we made "goop" which is sort of like silly putty. It was real effective. A pretty good lesson in my opinion.
I really like camp because the spirit is different. It feels more adventurous, more risk-taking (at least from an aspiring educator's perspective).
I'll let you know how Culture Day goes.
David you could do a segment on Discovery Channels new show 'Don't Drive Here!' As you described the scooter, j-walkers, fruit seller and people holding placards. Glad camp is going great.
ReplyDeletehey - you wanna make goop with Finn when you come? What do you need to make it?
ReplyDeleteSure, that sounds like fun! Here's the website I used for the recipe (it makes enough for two portions): http://domesticcharm.blogspot.kr/2011/10/glow-in-dark-slime.html
DeleteBasically, you need clear PVA glue (Elmer's is fine), some warm water, a bit of borax and some colouring if you wish. It's touchable but not edible. Originally I thought, "Why don't I bring the borax?" But then I thought, "No, it would look like meth or something.... maybe not the best idea..."