Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Why Is This Bus Always Crowded?

Seriously, the 311 always gets really full in the mornings. Usually I can find a seat to myself but some days, like today, it's not possible :(

Also...I think the Garlic Lady may be nearby... You can imagine the fragrance of garlic in this bus. 

I saw Man of Steel on Sunday, and I highly recommend it to you. It was excellently written and the cgi wasn't over the top. I thought the story was compelling and the characters intriguing. And there was only a few brand placements to boot (looking' at you, Transformers). 

I found out that Chong Hyeon will be my co-teacher for the rest of the semester because he's out of school now. It will be kind of nice, and I'm sure Hyeong Ah appreciates a break. 

There's this girl in my grade 4 class. She's really talented with English and she's real smart in general. She doesn't have any physical problems wrong with her and she's not what Koreans would consider "ugly", but at the same time, I'm noticing that she might not have many friends. I mean, she comes to class alone and the people she plays with at lunch are in a younger grade. Still, she's my star student, and I very much want to help her succeed. I was thinking about this the other day, and how I would handle it if my child came up to me and told me he or she didn't have any friends. It's really sad :(

You should hear the guy chewing gum behind me, it's like a camel....

------------------------

It's after school now. I found out that all 3 of our speech participants has been accepted to travel with 22 other Damyang grade 6ers to a city in China for another English speech contest! Congratulations. 

As well, one of my kids was totally feeling up my arm today. The absence of body hair here is amazing. 

Finally, I want to tell you about an odd experience I had yesterday. I needed to make some calls to my bank to figure out a question I had about my credit card. I called using Skype (free calls to 1-800 numbers, you're welcome for that lifesaver) and talked to some nice Canadian folks. Now, normally, this isn't a big deal, but....I guess I've been away from dealing with English speakers for a bit too long. The oddest feeling happened when I was talking. For the first time, it actually felt unnatural to use fluent English. I felt like I was speaking another language; it required more effort than normal.

Strange. 

1 comment:

  1. I learned the 1-800 Skype trick while in Italy - while I was glad for it I was also extremely frustrated because I had a heck if time topping up my credit, hence the call to my credit card ppl, haha

    ReplyDelete