A very stereotypical Arabian muslim man just got on the bus holding an irregular ticket (most people pay cash on the bus but visitors sometimes buy a ticket from the terminal because they don't know how the system works). Anyway, he asked some Korean folks if this bus goes to the Samseong Homeplus stop ("Samseong Homeplus?"), which it does (when going North it's labeled as "Samseong Homeplus" but when going south it labeled as "Gwangju Byeongwon"--how confusing!) but they really brushed him off. It seemed a little rude...
Anyway, he was looking for the map of the bus route and moved a few seats ahead.
When we were nearing Gwangju, he asked the bus driver a question but I couldn't hear. I could see in the rear view mirror the bus driver tried to explain except he didn't know what to say, so he just ignored the guy.
The Arabian man looked around, so I caught his attention and asked him to come sit with me. Turns out he wanted to go to Shinae (downtown). I replied, "Shinae?" because I know what it is, and I guess everyone else around me was listening in on our conversation because I heard multiple voices start talking about Shinae, lol.
Anyway, he wanted to go to the hospital, so I told him where to get off and showed him that the hospital is behind a row of buildings. He thanked me and asked where I was from, then got off the bus.
Then I got to hear all the old people talking about Shinae and the hospital.
Way to be helpful Dave. Now the others on the bus wish they could have responded to the stranger the way you did. Mom
ReplyDeleteI'm pretty sure they were glad someone else took care of it for them.
ReplyDeletethanks for stepping up, David.
ReplyDelete