Yesterday it was suuuuuper hot... My kids were antsy and I could tell the other teachers were tired and hot too. Not the best situation to teach in--you can't learn if you're too uncomfortable.
Anyway, I've started teaching from an Azar grammar book that I have, and so far it's going well. I've started writing my objectives on the board too, which I think helps my students follow along with my lessons (they always groan when I write "Study time").
Maybe it'll rain today. That should provide some relief.
In travel news, I'm planning to do a DMZ tour on Saturday. I hope NK doesn't do something stupid before then >:(
Now I have something very wonderful I'd like to share with you.
A few weeks ago, I fielded the idea to Johnny that we start a Bible study together. He had also been thinking the same thing, but we didn't actually start studying the Bible until this week FOL.
Anyway, through the course of our discussion, we realized that we were quite similarly aligned in terms of what we want our church (the English service) to be. We both want an authentic, small, intimate community where everyone participates and lives and learns together. For my shame, I had been previously been approaching our English service as church--a place to come and learn, then leave. In, out, done, as parents of small children know.
But now we have a vision. A vision of how our community of believers can effect change in our city and care for the people, like us, who are on the margins of this society.
I'm limited to what I can say in terms of a non-disclosure agreement I have with Johnny, but I can tell you that Johnny has held a vision like this for awhile, but it has so far gone unsupported by people who could have endorsed it. :(
Anyway, the point is this: we're on the cusp of something that could make a difference in the lives of people here and now.
Take care!
--------
As a quick update since I wrote the last post, today went really well and I really enjoyed my students' company. We even had pork cutlet for lunch! I even earned the coveted "good job" from Hyeong Ah. Sitting on top of the world.
We will certainly pray for this vision to be blessed by the Lord. So good to hear you got the "good job" from Hyeong Ah. Very impressive.
ReplyDeleteMom
hey david. this is johnny lol. nice bloggg and yea lets pray for the Lord to work through this.
ReplyDelete