Tuesday, October 2, 2012

CNU Student Festival

So every year, CNU has a large student festival. All the student clubs can get their own booth or tent and sell things or have games to raise money for their own clubs. I saw trucks full of crates of beer being unloaded, and once each tent picked up the amount of beer it wanted to sell, they would take the bottles of beer out of the crate, turn the crate upside down and put some plastic on it. Voila, instant Korean style table. They laid out long sheets of plastic on the ground for people to sit on, and they lit candles on each of the tables.

And it was packed! What a great festival--people could come and sit down, order something to eat and drink from a student club they liked and then enjoy each others company in the evening candlelight and the white coloured makkoli (rice wine) glow of inebriation. They had set up a large stage and had amateur performance going on the whole night.


You could even buy fireworks or win them at a game stall
and set them off.

I actually went to this festival 2 nights in a row. The second night I went with a friend who was visiting from out of town, and with Irene and her co-scholar Sujie. I really wanted to buy fireworks and set them off over the school's pond, so we went and bought some and then headed to the pond to go use them.

When we got to the pond, there were some folks using a paddle boat to get to the island in the middle of the pond. Bad idea! We lit our fireworks and started shooting them off over the water, but these fireworks were the screamer type that scream, spiral, and explode. We were trying to aim away from the innocent water-going bystanders, but our fireworks had other plans in mind, and constantly tried to sink the now terrified paddling and screaming guys and gals in the small dinghy. I fell over from laughing so hard at the one-sided battle, I'm sure you would have too!

These are my friends enjoying themselves (me, Sungoo, Courtney, Irene, and JeongHyeon).
This was such a relaxing and fun atmosphere and time together with friends
(My co-scholar SeonHa, JeongHyeon, Loan, me, Irene, Keonna, Courtney, and JiMin)
They even had some pansori performances (or is it samulnori?) Either way, I was waiting outside in the afternoon and happened to find myself in the middle of this: 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-tskTnNSgg&feature=youtu.be





No comments:

Post a Comment