Today it's finally here.
I came up to Seongnam from Gwangju after work yesterday so I could celebrate with Josh. We woke up this morning, read the Christmas story, and then departed for town. We went to Itaewon to find a place that would be serving authentic Christmas fare on this most fine day.
Visions of sugarplums, roast turkey with all the trimmings, and Christmas cheer filled our heads as we walked among the throngs of Korean people seeking their own version of this special holiday transplant.
We went from door to door, asking if there was any room for Christmas revelers like ourselves. "Full" was what we kept hearing. We came to one house of cheer: the Rocky Mountain Tavern, where an employee was waiting outside. "Come back in a bit" he said.
Saddened but hopeful we walked away and thought about what to do. Return to a place that might be full, or try an alternative (read: Mexican) Christmas. We returned to the tavern. "Any room for holiday-goers like us?" We asked a fellow Canuck. He checked the list. "There's room at our tables" he said.
With hearts full of Christmas joy and tummies awaiting a feast, we chose a table near a Christmas tree and regaled ourselves with tales of Christmases long long ago.
Finally, the food was ready. Tray after tray of garlic-herbed vegetables, mashed potatoes, seasoned stuffing, delicious and plentiful turkey, gravy, legit cranberry sauce, and homemade non-sweetened buns were presented to us.
We must have gone up 3 times.
I kept pausing and being flabbergasted at how wonderful everything was. Simply wonderful. They even started playing the movie Elf on the TV.
After our scrumptious dinner/lunch, we rolled ourselves out and went to Myeong-Dong, to shop a little before I had to go home. The crowds were almost impassable, so we didn't spend long there.
Josh and I went to the bus terminal, I got my ticket, and we departed. I really had a nice time with him! We made some very happy memories that will last a lifetime. It's not so great being away from family at Christmas, but quality company makes a big difference. Thanks Joshua!
Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.
No comments:
Post a Comment