Hi everyone!
Here's all the latest for this weekend so far.
I went out for lunch with the pastor from the UBF church nearby, and he's actually legit and pretty cool. I'm looking forward to going to chuch tomorrow, but I have to go twice... he wanted me to be introduced at the Korean service (10:30am) and come to the English service at 5:00pm.
This is some of the artwork that my students produce. I'm sure an art therapist could tell me a lot about what my kids are going through these days.
Speaking of kids and going through things, this past Thursday was an incredibly significant day for all 4th year high school students in the country. It was the day they all took the university entrance examinations. In other words, they had an entire day's worth of testing that will determine their future based on their results. When they release the scores next month, the suicide rate will inevitably spike.
| I think I see Spongebob in there... |
| This is the main lawn of my university. The leaves are beautiful right now. |
The 2nd last thing I want to write about is a festival that happened today. It was the Gwangju International Community Day, put on by the Gwangju International Centre. It's basically an organization that exists to help all non-Koreans settle into life here in Gwangju and the area. They had organized a bit of a festival outside the world cup stadium, so I went to check it out. They had a bunch of tents from different nationalities selling their local cuisine (naturally, the American tent had the longest line up... of Korean people!). I totally had a real American hot dog, and it was deeeeeeeeeeeeelicious!!
Anyway, I did some shopping at the nearby Uniqlo store because they're having some sort of anniversary sale, and then I went to check out a park I saw on the way to the stadium.
This is the highlight of my day! It reminds me a lot of Mill Lake in Abbotsford, simply because it's a nice, calm, big lake with some bridges and a path around the outside.
I found out later this place is called Pungam lake.
| This is a rare gem in Korea, believe me. Nice parks are a blessing. |
| They even have nice bridges. |
| All of a sudden, I came upon a beautiful rose garden!! With real roses, in real bloom! (isn't it a little late for roses?) |
| Yes, they smelled wonderful. |
| Imagine what this would look like in summer? |
| There were flowers everywhere. My dad would love this place. They even have the machinery for a light-up display fountain, but I didn't see a schedule posted. |
| You could buy big bags of toasted wheat and feed the incredibly noisy ducks and geese nearby. A welcome change from the plastic bags I saw people try and "feed" them..... |
| A nice reflecting pond with loads of Koi in it. |
Quick note: Koreans must get cold easily, perhaps because they're so thin. I see people wearing big jackets, gloves, scarves, and face/neck warmers and insulated pants all the time. I, however, am still boiling all the time.... I never wear my jacket until the sun goes down and I still sweat a lot, partly due to the size of this massive, spread out campus. People keep asking me if I'm freezing..... no, I'm overheating :S
The last thing I want to write about is stuff that I'm really glad I have in Korea and stuff I wish I had more of in Korea.
I'm really glad that I have:
- My utility knife. I don't own a pair of scissors, and this thing has come in handy multiple times. I keep it in my backpack every day. (On an additional note, my lighter has come in handy several times already as well)
- My laptop. It's my entertainment centre, productivity centre, and connection to the outside world. So glad I have it.
- Some books. I bought some at What the Book in Seoul, and it's really been a blessing. It helps me from forgetting the English language yet still allowing my mind to grow.
- My iPhone. It's been incredibly helpful to me in terms of communication and MAPS.
- My camera. Couldn't share things with you guys without it!
- Cereal. Godsend.
- Tea. Another godsend.
- My own sheet set. You need comfort and familiarity here.
I wish I had more of:
- Cheez-its. Some people say they no longer sell them in Korea, but my local Homeplus stocks them (120g boxes for FOUR DOLLARS EACH!!). They're incredibly expensive....
- Books. I'll get some more next weekend.
That's it for today! Have a good weekend everybody!
No comments:
Post a Comment