Thursday, September 13, 2012

I was a judge

So a week ago I was asked to be a judge in my school's English speaking contest. That's fine with me. I was told that I might only have to teach one class the day of the contest, since I would be judging for most of my hours that day.

Yesterday I found out that my classes were not cancelled at all, but that my Thursday co-teacher (a timid young lady) would be teaching them for me! Yikes! She's more than capable, but I wouldn't want to solo teach these classes....

Anyway, I prepared all the materials for her ahead of time and made sure there were lots of activities in case time went by slowly. I planned to meet her ahead of class time so that I could go over the lesson plan and tell her how to teach for the day. She was unfortunately late though and so I didn't get a chance to inform her of what materials to use :P I felt so bad for her...

Anyway, the speech contest is actually a big deal. Why? Because my school will select its 8 best English speakers and send them to an all-Damyang speech contest. The winners from there will go to CHINA for a final speech contest. Last year my elementary school sent 5 students and this year the English teachers are under pressure to get 6 students sent to China.

After the speech contest was over, I went back to the English room. There was still time for my grade 5 class, so I took over for my co-teacher. I hope she wasn't too frazzled :(

Apparently only one student showed up for my grade 4 class. All the others knew I was going to be absent from class, but this girl wanted to see me because she likes me as a teacher. So happy :)

PS - Apparently there's another typhoon coming to Korea this weekend. It'll probably make landfall Sunday night. We'll see how my "visit the beach" plans turn out for this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment