Friday, August 24, 2012

Orientation: Moving Down South!

Today everyone in my group (Jeollanam-do, a.k.a. Jeonnam province), along with everyone else in the TaLK program packed up and left the safety and comfort of Jochiwon and moved to our provinces. 
A goodbye sunset and rainbow on our last night in Jochiwon

Trying out a cool feature on my camera

This is my roommate Caleb! He's going to Pohang city.

This is what the cafeteria looks like at lunch time.

But since today was our last day, they went all out and gave us a fancy feast!
My group arrived in our provincial orientation venue ("SBC Retreat Centre") this afternoon and we settled in. It's much different from our dorms at Jochiwon.... and not really for the better :P

They won't turn on the air conditioning until we go to sleep tonight (which will be earlier, since curfew is 10pm and there's NO stores or bars around here). There's only one washing machine and no drying rack, and there's one key for each 2 person room.

But I digress. Let's make the most of our situation!

I feel like this week will be nice. Why? Because instead of all 289 TaLK scholars being together, it's just us 47 Jeonnam people. I think we'll get much closer together, which is what I'm looking forward to the most.

Tonight they've organized some sort of birthday party for all the August babies. Should be fun!

----------------------------------------

Some quick notes:

- One of my group leaders thought I was British until yesterday, when I told him I was from Vancouver. Apparently I look British, even to Koreans!

- Irene and I (Irene is going to CNU along with me) will probably transport our luggage to our dorm rooms on Sunday or even Saturday night\

- I heard some people speaking Swedish on the train the other day. Random!

- I am very happy I bought/brought my AirPort Express with me! It's a miniature router. In the retreat centre, the WiFi signal isn't very strong at all in my room, but there is an ethernet cable in here. So, I plug my AirPort into the electrical socket and the ethernet cable into the AirPort, and BAM! Instant WiFi network in my room. Perfect! So handy.

1 comment:

  1. the picture that you took of the parking lot using your cool feature makes it look like a miniature or model. Very cool indeed.

    ReplyDelete