Hello Dear Reader,
Well, it's been a month since I've come to Canada from Korea. Wow, how quickly the circumstances in our lives change. As a Millenial, we were raised to understand this as the only certainty in life: things will change. In response, I'm mad at myself for the effect that crystallisation has had on my memories of the land of the morning calm. Sure, it's great they're in my mind for the long-term, but it has the depressing effect of neutralising them--making it feel as if I was never there. If it wasn't for the photographs I keep, it's like it was just a dream.
I dealt with reverse culture shock for the first few weeks: comparing everything, wishing things were done another way, puzzled and sometimes offended by the way people conducted their lives here. Now, it's mostly just pangs of longing for my friends, my lifestyle, my kids. When I look at some of my pictures, it brings back all the beautiful memories (and more importantly, stories) of people who have helped me and helped bring joy and fulfillment to my days. I want to pay it forward.
In terms of facts, I will summarise what's gone down recently:
- I came from Korea to Canada, went to UFV the same day to get my campus card, textbooks, and take care of some housekeeping details there.
- I'm taking 6 classes this semester at UFV. Oddly, I find myself to be one of the older students in the class now. Still, I'm much more focused in terms of career path and desired educational outcomes. I also find myself to be more outgoing in my classes, which leads me to my next point.
- I'm "in the market for new friends" these days. It sounds kind of cold, but basically it just means I'm trying to be more outgoing, intentional, and dedicated in laying the foundation for life-long friendships. After all, this is university. The students are there for a purpose, which gives us all a "point commun".
- I'm unemployed, and not really looking. Financially, I need to find work relatively soon, but with the current course load, it feels like it might be too much.
- I still live at home. Nothing has changed here, but I was recently inspired to clean my room and divest a lot of stuff. It's amazing how much more clarity of mind I have now that my living/workspace is cleaner, simpler, and more streamlined (yes, yes, I know you're not supposed to mix the too). The "luxury of space" lets my mind be free, yet focused.
- Okay, this one isn't a fact, it's more of a thought. I would still like to write in the future, as in, keeping a blog. However, it won't be this particular blog. I might go back to my other blog (I'm scared to read it, I haven't worked on it in years) or maybe even start up a whole new one! Maybe I'll even fiddle around with Tumblr. Anyway, suffice to say, you won't see any more updates from "David Goes to Korea". Whoever reads this is always welcome to send me an e-mail or something, I'd be more than happy to write you back. Maybe you'll even get a postcard the next time I go someplace.
And that's what's happening.
Folks, I just want to say that I had the time of my life in South Korea. I felt like almost every day I was flying high, and to be honest, I felt like coming back to Canada was a step down. However, I want to get used to this, and I want to do well in my new life here. I only wish that I could be as productive now as I was then. Perhaps someone I know can attest to this sort of feeling.
Thank you for reading this blog (whoever you are). It was started as a vanity project, but I hope that you were able to survive a look inside my head. Maybe it even helped you change your perception of Korea, or of me, or of...whatever. I suppose if that's true, then I can say, "Mission Accomplished."
If anything you've made me realize what a great writer you are!
ReplyDeleteWell done, David. Your journey has been very much apart of me. I can agree to the dream like state an event like this can be. I pray that God will continue to guide you in your life-long friendships. I also agree with Joshua, you are a great writer. Keep it up. Thanks for the final post.
ReplyDelete