Things are good in Gwangju, but really cold these days. I can't complain though, it's nothing like the winter vortex over North America now (it's like that scene from "The Day After Tomorrow" I imagine).
Today my students and I are going to a local amusement park, Kumho Family Land (or "pamiry lend" as the locals do). I thought we were going sledding, but I think we're going on rides and stuff. This is going to be fun, my kids are so excited to go on the "Viking", the ship that swings back and forth.
Johnny might come over tonight, maybe we'll have a small party.
I recently tried to get myself organized for my classes at UFV. I should call it a rude awakening--the workload and expectations of students are vastly different between our two countries. I signed up for a certain business class to avoid a different professor who assigns an extremely lengthy and undervalued major project, but I'm pretty sure the professor I have borrowed the project assignment XD oh no.
I was able to go to a print shop and order some books to be made though, so I got that going for me, which is nice.
The other day I was talking with my colleagues, and I was asking them about some cliches in Korean. Apparently the Korean equivalent of "who cut the cheese?" Is "who ate sweet potato?" Or "who ate an egg?" Lol. In North America we say that robins herald the arrival of spring. In Korea, one knows spring is coming "when the frogs wake up." And in English we can say our leg or foot has "fallen asleep" but in Korean you say it's electrified or something like that.
I asked about terms of endearment in Korean. In English we have so many: baby, sweetie, dear, honeybun, honey, sweetheart, snookums, pumpkin, etc. Anyway, in Korean they can use familial names between couples which, now that I think about it, is kind of weird. Imagine calling your boyfriend "older brother~~" or your girlfriend "little sister" (actually I don't know if it works in reverse like that). Anyway, they also said that grandmothers will sometimes make a remark about their grandchildren when they are being cute or getting messy. Apparently they refer to them as "puppies eating poop".
Perhaps it sounds better in Korean XD
No comments:
Post a Comment